How does UserReplay work?
UserReplay uses a highly scalable Passive Capture Engine
At the core of UserReplay is a powerful tag-free session capture engine that will securely record and replay every click and entry for every visitor. The software utilizes a network TAP or SPAN port to produce a copy of network traffic, and the highly scalable capture engine rebuilds this traffic back into full user journeys. This passive capture approach ensures no risk or performance impact on your live site.
- All session variables
- The entries that a visitor makes into any freeform field
- The parameter selected from a dropdown menu
- All JSON/AJAX calls
- All HTML delivered
- All page content and individual object level data
- Request / response header information
We record every click and every entry made so that it can be replayed and viewed in real time. We provide a very clear audit trail of every click by highlighting the button in red. We also re-populate every form field and selection made and highlight in yellow. This enables you to see what the visitor sees in real time.
UserReplay is highly secure
UserReplay sits securely within your firewall and can passively capture all or any segment of your web traffic.
- We do not slow down or interfere with content delivery in any way
- New pages can go live without tagging delays
- We respect visitor privacy
- We do not invade the users browser
- No cookies are placed on the visitors machine
UserReplay runs on your servers, inside your firewall and that's important:
- We capture visitor sessions in the exact place where the visitor transacts
- All data is stored within your network rather than a 3rd party aggregator (who may be off-shore)
- We can scrub any data field so that confidential or personal data is not stored (important from a PCI perspective)
UserReplay can operate in private or public clouds
UserReplay can also run in a private cloud, as well as in many leading public cloud environments. The UserReplay servers and network TAP can themselves be virtualized alongside the rest of your infrastructure in the Virtual Private Cloud.
The diagram below shows how this is achieved in Amazon Web Services:
Bot and XML traffic is captured
Customer acquisition strategies often involve price aggregator and comparison sites. These often account for a larger proportion of customer acquisition spend than ‘traditional’ paid search.
In addition to real people, your website will receive data requests from other partner websites. This web services traffic is an important source of business but existing analytics is often completely blind to this. UserReplay will capture the requested and completed XML formatted exchange, bringing a rich understanding of such visitors.
Visual Replay of User Journeys
UserReplay enables you to visually replay a complete visitor session in real time.
We can replay every visitor session including mobile traffic. We provide you with the ability to intuitively tread step by step through the customer's journey and see how they interacted with the site including any barriers that they experienced.
As shown in the example below, we provide you with a very clear trail of every click (highlighting the button in red) and every form field and selection made (highlighted in yellow). This enables you to see what the visitor does and sees in real time.
These barriers will be a mixture of usability issues and technical problems. There will be instances where a visitor is unable to proceed to the next step of a user journey and there will be instances where a user is disinclined to continue, either through confusion or sheer frustration.
There will be key events that indicate this frustration and UserReplay will highlight this very clearly. For example:
- Form completion issues
- Warning message ambiguity
- Usability issues
- Stock and inventory availability issues
- Site technical problems (system & application)